Sunday, August 14, 2011

SUSHI SATURDAY! - Tempe, AZ

 
 
Sakebomber Sushi & Grill
Southwest corner of McClintock & Broadway In Tempe, AZ

Great sushi, Semi-affordable to affordable.
Works for my low-low budget =]


Miso Soup
A staple treat when you go for sushi.

I was very surprised at how much I liked Sakebomber's miso soup. It's $1/bowl on their backwards happy hour (after 9pm Mon-Sat), and I actually ended up getting two this time! It was the perfect mix of broth and miso, and I know it looks super cloudy, but it does not have that "too much miso" taste that some places have. It was perfect and tasty, with lots of tofu bits and seaweed.
Overall Rating: 10/10
I'm super picky about miso soup and this was awesome!!


Volcano Roll
Spicy tuna, cream cheese, and sweet egg - tempura fried and served with a spicy sauce
This was really good, tempura fried just so the outside has a crunch, and the spicy tuna with cream cheese/sweet egg mixture was really mild (not fishy) and smooth.
The sauce is like a normal red chili sauce swirled with a mayo miso sauce, pretty sweet with a tangy/hot undertone.
Over score - 8/10
Wasn't spicy enough for me and the menu gave it a two "chili" rating - I was expecting HOT




Las Vegas Roll
Spicy salmon mix, avocado, and cream cheese - tempura fried and topped with eel sauce and jalapenos
This was by far our favorite!
The Las Vegas roll is a perfect combination of smokey, sweet, and spicy. With the first bite you mostly just get a sweet taste from the eel sauce (I love eel sauce), then the heat from the jalapeno starts sneaking up, and the salmon leaves a great sweet and smokey aftertaste. Not fishy at all and enough heat to keep me satisfied.
Overall Rating: 9/10
My partner and I both agreed this was the best we ordered tonight and is on our top ten list of Sushi Roll.


Crispy California Roll
California roll rolled in tempura crumbs
(avocado, imitation crab, cream cheese)

The Crispy California Roll was only $4.50 on Sakebomber's "Reverse Happy Hour" (after 9pm, Mon-Sat), so even though we don't count it as "real sushi" (no real fish/nothing raw), it was cheap and worth a try.
WE WERE AMAZED! This roll was smooth and creamy and didn't have any overwhelming tastes of avocado or cream cheese, a perfect mix! The eel sauce gives that nice sweetness, and the tempura crumbs give it just enough crispiness.
Overall Rating: 7/10 - I'm not big on California Rolls
Rating for a California Roll: 10/10 - It was really yummy even though it doesn't have fish. My partner LOVED IT.



Bomber Fries
tempura fried french fries
We always get these for our son, because...well I'll take a picture next time, but HE MAKES A HUGE MESS WITH SUSHI! My partner loves them too, to the point where he eats all the baby's food.
So basic recipe, batter dipped and rolled into tempura, (I'm guessing) the fries do need a bit of salt though. You can tell that the fires are made fresh from REAL POTATOES, because they're a little saggy/limp, but the tempura makes you forget this because they have that CRUNCH we all love with fried foods. =]
If you like tempura fried things and classic french fries, these are a welcome appetizer and come out of the kitchen super quickly if you're hungry RIGHT NOW.
Overall Rating: 8/10 - I need a little added salt, and although I'm glad they're fresh made, I like my fries a little stiffer. But other than that, they're still really good and a staple when I visit Sakebomber.

No comments:

Post a Comment